Tuesday 5 August 2014

I am a feminist

I am a feminist.

I am a feminist because I'm scared
scared of stepping out of the house
scared of coming back after dark
scared of streets devoid of people
and scared of ones filled with men 


I am a feminist because I'm tired
Tired of being stared at 
by men who look at me like i'm a piece of meat
Tired of deciding what I wear
according to someone else's standards

I am feminist because I'm angry
Angry at the men in charge
Who mask their indifference with big words
Angry at them again
Because sometimes they don't even try to mask it

I am a feminist because I don't want to be angry,scared,or tired any more
I want to be able to walk down a street
and not have to constantly look behind
I want to be able to wear a pair of cute shorts
and think of no consequences but for the compliments that I will get
I want to be able to read my morning newspaper
Without fury rushing through my veins

Being a woman should no make me tired,scared or angry
It's time people understood that


No comments:

Post a Comment